Call for our cheapest quotes on 0800 3698592 freephone!
UK Car Insurance Rules
The legislation of car insurance in UK came in the year 1930. It was required as most of the people started using motor vehicles for transportation. So in order to provide security at least, to other people, third party insurance was considered important.
A valid insurance document is one of the most important things, which a person should have while driving. You are not entitled to drive a vehicle unless you have this document ni your possession.. Unlike the USA you do not need to carry this document or your driving license with you at all times. However if you still choose to drive without being insured or knowing the car you are driving is not insured for you in particular, you are committing a criminal offence.
According to the Road Traffic Act there are many things that should be taken into consideration while issuing insurance policies. Some of these are the age, physical or mental condition of the driver, condition of the car, restriction of people to be carried. All these are considered to set the appropriate premium to cover the innocent accident victims.
You may drive a vehicle without receiving the actual certificate but you should have a cover note to present to the police if requested. If you do not issue this document when requested at a police station the police will assume you are driving without insurance. The actual document should have all the details about the policy concerned such as name of the policyholder, the registration mark of the vehicle, date of cover commencement, the expiry date, limitations of use and persons or person entitled to drive with.
Moreover the person driving the vehicle should always remember the following seven tips:
- In UK more than two million people drive without insurance. So, it is the first and foremost thing that a driver should have. It can be anything - Third Party, Third Party Fire and Theft or Fully Comprehensive Insurance.
- The golden rule to follow while purchasing a policy is, to do a comparative study of the policies that are available online. This will give you an understanding as to which one should you buy.
- You should look for whether your policy is covered with breakdown coverage or not. If not, then you should go for it. There are various packages available from as little as 22 pound per month.
- You should inform your insurer if you change your address or if you are caught speeding and points applied to your license or if you are caught driving while using mobile phone.
- Do not modify your car without talking to your insurer because modification could increase your premium. Premium is dependent on various factors. So it is advisable to have an initial chat with your insurer.
- If you do not have a car but you been offered to drive another person's car then also it is advisable to purchase a policy because at the first year you earn no bonus claim which in turn will reduce your second year premium and the years to come.
- Inform your insurer if you are going to drive outside UK. Drivers with UK driving license are allowed to drive in Europe with minimum legal formalities. So, you can take a green card from your insurer and carry it with you while driving outside UK.
View the UK Car Insurance Guide